How to Apply

Finding Vacancies

Our current vacancies are listed on this website and can be viewed by the type of role, e.g. Academic, campus location, full-time/part-time and if you wish to see all current vacancies, you can select the option to view them all.

How to Apply

If you are interested in a post, click the Apply Online button within the job advert and you’ll be asked to register and set up an account on the site (Why do I have to register?) or log into the account you’ve already created. Be sure to provide an email address you use regularly, because that’s how we’ll keep in touch with you about your application.

If you require any assistance please contact HR. 
All applications must be submitted online by Midnight UK time on the closing date.

Application Form

The online application form can be completed in stages and you can login/logout at any time. The form automatically saves as you enter your information and it is simple to move backwards and forwards within the form at any time prior to submission. Help is available at each stage to guide you through the form.

Before final submission, you can preview your application and can then choose to refine or submit the form.

After Applying

Once you have submitted your application, you will see in the 'My Applications' area, that the status of your application will be "submitted" and it will also show the date of submission.

The following day, you will receive an acknowledgment email.

After Closing Date

The selection panel will assess all applicants against the requirements of the job description and person specification and then notify HR of their decision.

HR will then contact the applicants as appropriate.

Prospective and Current Employees - Eligibility to Work in the UK

We have a legal responsibility to ensure that only those who are entitled to live and work in the UK are employed by the University.

Prior to any new employee commencing any type of work or employment (either paid or unpaid) for the University, we are required to confirm your eligibility to work by checking one or more original documents on the eligible documents list.  We reserve the right to undertake any checks that may be necessary to verify the information that you provide to us.  All offers of employment are made subject to verification of eligibility to work in the UK and to undertake the employment offered by the University.

You can check your right to work by going to the UKVI web pages. Am I Eligible to live work in the UK?

Many people will already be eligible to live and work in the UK. Some of the main categories are:

Indefinite leave to remain

  • British Citizens
  • Nationals of countries covered by the European Economic Area (EEA) agreement
  • Citizens from some Commonwealth countries who hold a right to abode
  • Non EEA nationals granted indefinite leave to remain

Limited leave to remain

  • Spouses or dependants of full time students, work permit or certificate of sponsorship holders
  • People holding Tier 1 eligibility (formally the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme)
  • Students holding a Tier 4 sponsorship may have eligibility to work up to 20 hours in term-time and full-time in vacation periods
  • People with refugee status

These categories are subject to change from time to time, particularly as new countries join the EEA.  You are therefore advised to check your own eligibility with the Home Office, UK Visas and Immigration via their web pages.

I am not eligible to live and work in the UK– can I still apply?

There may be circumstances where you can be legally employed by the University but we would have to issue you with a certificate of sponsorship.  A certificate of sponsorship can only be issued after certain criteria are met:

  • You can evidence you meet the criteria for a preset level of “points”  (you can use the online calculator (to estimate your points total)
  • The job you are applying for is listed as one of the “eligible” jobs in the Border and Immigration Codes of Practice.

 If you are currently residing outside the UK we will send the certificate of sponsorship number to you as soon as we have it. You will then need to make the appropriate arrangements to apply for leave to enter the UK.  If you are already in the UK then you will not need to leave the UK but, depending on your existing immigration status, you may have to apply for a change of immigration status or an extension to your current leave to remain.

Please note that you will not be allowed to start work until all of these processes have been completed.

How will this affect my job application?

It is unlawful to discriminate in recruitment or employment on a number of grounds, including nationality or citizenship. Your application for employment will therefore be assessed against your ability to meet the person specification for the job and in line with our standard recruitment and selection processes.  If you are subsequently offered employment and you are not automatically entitled to live and work in the UK then we will make the arrangements to obtain a certificate of sponsorship on your behalf.

You should note, however, that in order to obtain permission to employ an overseas national who is not eligible to live and work in the UK, you must be able to show that you meet specific requirements.  One of these requirements includes demonstrating that there are no suitable resident workers available to fill the vacancy and/or that the vacancy requires skills and experience which are within a designated shortage area.  This means that it is unlikely that we will be granted permission to employ individuals to work in a post which requires only generic or non-specialist skills, or that do not require at least NVQ3 or equivalent qualifications, and our processes must therefore take this into account.

Changes of eligibility during your employment

If at anytime during your employment with us your address or your immigration status changes then you must contact HR with immediate effect.  Changes may include:

  • Expiry of your passport
  • Expiry of your Visa
  • Leaving our employment
  • Separation or divorce from your Spouse or Civil Partner

Fees for Certificates of Sponsorship and Visas

If conditions are met, the University will support your application for Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship and will not re-charge the fee for this.

You would be responsible for the fees associated with other sponsorship tiers and the cost of any visas for yourself and your family.  These costs would not normally be reimbursed by the University.